I'm all in favour of the new casino resort in Two Mile Borris, which is just outside of Thurles, the town I call home. I think the criticisms of the project are entirely unconvincing. Broadsheet.ie referred to it as a "stunningly tasteless, hubristic metaphor". This attempt at associating the casino with the reckless gambling of The Bankers is cheap and absurd, however light-hearted it may be. Without this kind of large-scale investment, how will we pull ourselves out of the mess we're in, anyway?
This kind of venture represents Ireland's future. Manufacturing will never survive here, and so that focus will shift to the service industry. Some have complained that it means more "low grade, minimum wage jobs" (as a commenter on Broadsheet remarked). This might be true, but those kind of jobs already exist. Many people are glad of them, many people will be glad of the employment opportunities offered by this new project.
There are concerns about the effect this may have on culture and environment, too, but all of them seem wildly overstated. People already gamble every single day in this country, online, in bookmakers or in the small-size casinos in some of the bigger cities. It's not as though there is no gambling culture as things stand. The notion that this behaviour somehow becomes sleazy or corrupting only when it takes place in a Vegas-style casino is nonsense. In terms of visual pollution, the buildings that comprise the casino are not at all tacky, and even the White House replica looks attractive and is actually a tribute to it's designer, James Hoban, who was born and raised in Kilkenny, rather than a gaudy imitation.
Worries about the riskiness of this venture are more reasonable, but I think the fact that the site is situtated equidistant from all the major cities in the Republic is compelling evidence that this resort will attract the necessary number of consumers. Many tourists already come to Tipperary to visit the famous Rock of Cashel, anyway. Overall, I'm just very excited. Things like this don't really happen in Tipperary. Most of the people here I talk to, from my 20 year old friends to my elderly grandparents are also very excited. This is good news


No comments:
Post a Comment